How to disinfect food packaging?
The Covid-19 virus has a low resistance to cleaning products, so therefore it is important to disinfect all surfaces in order to prevent contagion.
The first thing to consider when disinfecting food packaging is to make sure that THE PACKAGING IS CLOSED PROPERLY AND THAT FOOD IS NOT EXPOSED. It is important to avoid direct contact between the disinfectant and the food.
To disinfect, we recommend the use of:
- A 70% alcohol with 30% water solution. Why? Water improves the penetration of alcohol on surfaces meaning disinfection is more efficient.
- Disinfecting wipes that indicate on the label that they are effective against the human coronavirus.
You can also use:
- Hydrogen peroxide (3%).
- Prepare a solution of sodium hypochlorite (0.1%): mix 1 litre of water with 100ml or 10 tablespoons of sodium hypochlorite (1%).
While these options can destroy the virus, they can also transfer flavour to the food through the packaging material. Therefore, we recommend to spray the alcohol solution and wipe the product down with a sponge or cloth.
- Nothing is instant! The contact time between the surface and the solution should be between 5 to 10 minutes.
- Alcohol is a flammable material, store it in a safe place, away from fire.
We are responsible: everyone’s health is in our hands.